Tomato Soup is a classic favourite and is a lot easier to make than you might think. This recipe is quick, simple and brilliant for the kids as it gets them eating fresh veg and will have them asking for more!
Cook Time: Approximately 25mins
1tsp Olive Oil
1/2 finely chopped Onion
2 crushed cloves of Garlic
1 tin Mr. Organic Chopped tomatoes
Small bunch of fresh basil
500ml Vegetable Broth
1 tsp mixed herbs
2tbsp dairy-free yogurt (optional)
1. Heat your olive oil in a medium sized pan, then add the onion and cook for approximately 3minutes until soft.
2. Add in the garlic and cook for another 2 minutes before adding in the chopped tomatoes, fresh basil, mixed herbs and vegetable broth.
3. Bring the mixture to a boil, then turn down the heat, cover with a lid and allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
4. If you don't mind your soup to be a bit chunkier, then you can serve and enjoy. However, if you prefer the soup to be smoother, then transfer it to a blender and blend on high for about a minute, which should remove any of the lumps left in it.
5. If you want to, add the yogurt to the soup, then sprinkle some fresh basil on top and serve.
For an added treat, especially if you are extra hungry, make yourself a cheese sandwich to dip into the soup instead of plain sliced bread, you will not be disappointed. And if you are feeling adventurous, heat up some mashed potato in the microwave while cooking the soup and add that into the bowl instead of the yogurt.
Image used with permission from Mr. Organic